Full Membership Information
The Australian Federation of Disability Organisations (AFDO) is the peak organisation in the disability sector representing people with lived experience of disability. Our member organisations are run by people with lived experience of disability.
AFDO is the place for organisations that represent people with disability to work together to achieve common goals.
Our work includes advising the Commonwealth Government and representing the interests of people with a disability.
Our members contribute to the national debate on disability and enjoy a range of additional benefits that include:
- Receive AFDO and disability sector news through regular e-news
- Attendance at member consultations and events
- Contribute to Submissions and policy documents
- Representation to government, media and the wider community on issues affecting people with disability
- Collaborate with other disability organisations at member meetings
Become a Full member of AFDO
1/ Can your organisation become a Full member of AFDO? Check the criteria below:
- Not for Profit Disability organisations (members can come from anywhere in Australia).
- Members are:
- people with disability, and/or
- organisations of people with disability, and/or
- organisations for people with disability
- a) 1. They are governed by a board where at least 50% of Board members are people with disability, or
- 2. They are a national disability organisation representing the lived experience of advocating for a family member with disability;
- a) Children with disabilities, or
- b) People with Intellectual disability, or
- c) Carers and family members.
- b) They are either ‘incorporated associations’ or ‘companies limited by guarantee’,
- c) Their prime role is to advocate for the rights and wellbeing of people with disability,
- d) They exist to support people with disability, and
- e) They do not have any purposes contrary to the purposes of the AFDO.
2/ Write a letter to the AFDO CEO & Company Secretary, Ross Joyce and include the following:
- Confirm that your organisation is a Not for Profit Disability Organisation
- Confirm that your organisation is governed by a Board where at least 50% of Board members are people with disability
- Confirm that your organisation is either 'incorporated association' or 'company limited by guarantee'
- Confirm that your organisation exists to support people with disability
- Attach a copy of your Constitution
- Attach a copy of your Annual Report
3/ Send your application letter and attachments to the CEO at firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to:
Chief Executive Officer
Australian Federation of Disability Organisations
247 Flinders Lane
Melbourne VIC 3000
The Board of AFDO considers all membership applications, and will notify you within 60 days if your application is successful. All decisions made by the AFDO Board on membership applications are final.