We realise that things are changing quickly and that it’s important to be able to find good clear information about COVID-19. We have collected as much information as possible for people with disability and their families in one place.
Disability workers to wear masks.
All Victorian disability support workers are required to wear a single use surgical mask when at work at all times. This applies across the whole of Victoria. In limited situations, other options may be available such as use of a face shield, however use of a surgical mask provides the best protection and is the preferred option. You can download the Face masks at work: Frequently asked questions for disability support workers (Word) here.
There is more information on facemasks on the Victorian Government’s Face Mask page.
Disability Information Helpline 1800 643 787 (free call)
- The Disability Information Helpline is available Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm (AEST) and Saturday and Sunday 9am to 7pm (AEST). It’s not available on national public holidays.
- If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech impairment, you can call the National Relay Service on 133 677 and ask for 1800 643 787
- Livechat: click on this external link to Livechat which will connect you to IDEAS, then on the button in the bottom right corner. (8am – 8pm weekdays)
NDIS Coronavirus Hotline – 1800 800 110 then press 5 (free call)
- The NDIS have staff that are available to answer your questions and help with your plan, if you press 5 after calling the NDIS number. Open Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm.
National Coronavirus Hotline – 1800 020 080 (free call)
- If you are deaf, have hearing loss or a speech impairment, you can call the National Relay Service on 133 677
- Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Government information & Fact Sheets
Department of Health
The most reliable sources of information on the COVID-19 is on the new Australian Government website www.australia.gov.au and the Department of Health website. These websites are updated regularly to give you the latest COVID-19 news, updates, and advice from government. Other useful links are:
- Management and Operational Plan for People with Disability
- Return to School for Students with Disability COVID-19 Risk Management Plan
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) hospital companion for people with disability
The Australian Government has created a website with the latest COVID-19 information and resources from government agencies across Australia. You can visit this website at www.australia.gov.au
Australians can gain access to a new messaging service on WhatsApp by typing oz.gov.au/whatsapp. You can also get up-to-date information from the Federal Government’s Coronavirus Australia app, available on the App Store and Google Play store.
The Australian Government has also launched a national campaign to inform all Australians about the Coronavirus (COVID-19). The campaign includes four videos with captions and is aimed at stopping the spread of COVID-19:
National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
The NDIS has a range of information and resources for NDIS participants on the NDIS website at https://www.ndis.gov.au/coronavirus. Please check their website regularly as it is regularly updated.
Other helpful websites and resources
- National Disability Insurance Scheme has Coronavirus information and resources
- Every Australian Counts has put together a list of Coronavirus resources
- IDEAS have put together a list of Coronavirus resources
- Blind Citizens Australia has information for people with visual impairment, including handwashing advice
- Coronavirus: What to do if you’re in a wheelchair
- Asthma specific advice – Update on Asthma Australia website
If you like the work we do, you can make a one-off donation or a regular monthly donation by using your credit card or PayPal account. Please select the button below.
Donations of $2.00 and over are tax-deductible.