We realise that things are changing quickly and that it’s important to be able to find good clear information about COVID-19. We have collected as much information as possible for people with disability and their families in one place.
Disability workers to wear masks.
The Federal Government is recommending that disability support workers and people working with people with disability wear facemasks when working with clients with a disability in Metro Melbourne. It is also recommended that people with a disability should wear a mask while receiving services at home. You can read more about Disability Workers to Wear Masks here.
There is more information on facemasks on the Victorian Government’s Face Mask page.
Disability Information Helpline 1800 643 787 (free call)
- The Disability Information Helpline is available Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm (AEST) and Saturday and Sunday 9am to 7pm (AEST). It’s not available on national public holidays.
- If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech impairment, you can call the National Relay Service on 133 677 and ask for 1800 643 787
- Livechat: click on this external link to Livechat which will connect you to IDEAS, then on the button in the bottom right corner.
NDIS CoronaVirus Hotline – 1800 800 110 then press 5 (free call)
- The NDIS have staff that are available to answer your questions and help with your plan, if you press 5 after calling the NDIS number. Open Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm.
National CoronaVirus Hotline – 1800 020 080 (free call)
- If you are deaf, have hearing loss or a speech impairment, you can call the National Relay Service on 133 677
- Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Government information & Fact Sheets
Department of Health
The most reliable sources of information on the COVID-19 is on the new Australian Government website www.australia.gov.au and the Department of Health website. These websites are updated regularly to give you the latest COVID-19 news, updates, and advice from government. Other useful links are:
- Management and Operational Plan for People with Disability
- Return to School for Students with Disability COVID-19 Risk Management Plan
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) hospital companion for people with disability
The Australian Government has created a website with the latest COVID-19 information and resources from government agencies across Australia. You can visit this website at www.australia.gov.au
Australians can gain access to a new messaging service on WhatsApp by typing oz.gov.au/whatsapp. You can also get up-to-date information from the Federal Government’s CoronaVirus Australia app, available on the App Store and Google Play store.
The Australian Government has also launched a national campaign to inform all Australians about the CoronaVirus (COVID-19). The campaign includes four videos with captions and is aimed at stopping the spread of COVID-19:
National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
The NDIS has a range of information and resources for NDIS participants on the NDIS website at https://www.ndis.gov.au/coronavirus. Please check their website regularly as it is regularly updated.
Economic Justice Australia has published new Fact Sheets to provide information on how Centrelink can help if you’ve been affected by COVID-19.
The Australian Government has suspended mutual obligation requirements for JobSeeker Payment, Youth Allowance as a job seeker, as well as Parenting Payment until 27 April 2020. You can read more information here.
Other helpful websites and resources
- Every Australian Counts has put together a list of CoronaVirus resources
- IDEAS have put together a list of CoronaVirus resources
- People with Disability Australia has a list of CoronaVirus Resources
- Women With Disability Australia has a list of CoronaVirus Resources for women with disability
- Blind Citizens Australia has information for people with visual impairments, including handwashing advice
- CoronaVirus: What to do if you’re in a wheelchair
- Asthma specific advice – Update on Asthma Australia website
- COVID-19 Planning Resource for People with Disability
- PDF – Person-Centred Emergency Preparedness Planning for COVID-19
- WORD – Person-Centred Emergency Preparedness Planning for COVID-19 (Word)
- My COVID-19 Plan (PDF only)
- PDF – Stop Sign – Someone in this house is at higher risk of Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- WORD – Stop Sign – Someone in this house is at higher risk of Coronavirus (COVID-19)