While the majority of employees with disability won’t require any workplace modification or assistance, the Employment Assistance Fund (EAF) aims to make accommodating employees with disability in the workplace easier.
The EAF reimburses businesses for costs (subject to prior approval) associated with making adjustments to support a new or existing employee with disability. Eligibility includes:
- They need to be employed for more than 8 hours per week
- They need to have been employed for at least 13 weeks
- They need to be an Australian Citizen or a Permanent resident
- Their disability needs to have lasted or be expected to last more than 2 years
Auslan interpreting service, disability awareness training (up to $1500) and Specialist Learning Support (up to $1500) are options that can be reimbursed (subject to approval) by the EAF, as well as office equipment, personal aids, and workplace modifications.
The process is quite simple:
- Call Job Access on 1800 464 800 and let them know you wish to apply. Job Access is a free information and advice service funded by the Commonwealth Government.
- A consultant will respond within 4 business hours and take you through the eligibility criteria.
- Documents needed are Proof of residency (if not an Australian citizen), documentary proof of diagnosis as well as employment.
- Once these documents are received an Assessor contacts your business within 7 business days, conducts the assessment by speaking with the employee and understanding their role and supplies a report back to EAF.
- You are then contacted within 2 business days as to whether the funding will be allocated, and you can go ahead with the purchase and organise the reimbursement.
- You will receive confirmation in writing from the EAF.