This position is only available for those who identify as a person with disability as allowed under ‘special measures’ of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010, no other applicants will be considered.
The Australian Federation of Disability Organisations, a Disabled People’s Organisation and a National Cross-Disability Peak, represents people with disability and their families, and is looking for an experienced Communications Officer with relevant skills to fulfil this role.
Reporting directly to the Personal & Executive Assistant, you will provide ongoing up to date and responsive communications for the organisation, managing AFDO’s social media and website(s) presence and overseeing outgoing communications. You will keep the CEO up-to-date with disability sector news or issues for timely and strategic organisation responses. This is to be undertaken in line with AFDO policy positions, response directions and requirements as determined in regular meetings by the AFDO Communications Coordinating Team.
This is an exciting opportunity to join AFDO as we continue to grow and be an active contributor in extending its impact both nationally and internationally. See more about us at; www.afdo.org.au
You must have a minimum of 2 years operating in a communications role within or outside of the sector.
This is a part time role working Monday to Friday each week, with an initial 12 month contract and potential for renewal subject to results. We have a remote “home office” operating environment and great flexibility along with other benefits and a great team environment. Ideally, we are seeking the candidate to commence immediately.
Interested in applying?
Please submit a cover letter (maximum 2 pages) responding to the criteria in the Position description below with your resume to email@example.com with the subject line: Communications Officer.
Download the Position Description:
- Word doc: Communications Officer (docx, 4 pages, 190kb)
- PDF (untagged): Communications Officer (PDF, 4 pages, 231kb)
Position description: Communications Officer
Term: Fixed Term 1 Year – Dates TBC
Start Date: April 2021 (TBC)
Location: Designated workplace – Melbourne office/allowed to work from remote home office
Reports to: Personal & Executive Assistant (P&EA)
Subordinate positions: Volunteers and Contractors (as required)
Hours of work: 22.5 hours per week (45 p/fortnight). Worked over Monday to Friday
This position reports to the Personal & Executive Assistant (P&EA) and is responsible for working on developing and implementing organisation wide communications.
This position supports the development, implementation and maintainance of communications covering, social media, websites, publications, relevant data base contact lists and reports.
This position provides ongoing up to date and responsive communications for the organisation, managing AFDO’s social media and website(s) presence, overseeing outgoing communications ie: newsletters/Press Releases, etc. through relevant and up to date contact lists.
This is to be undertaken in line with AFDO policy positions, response directions and requirements as determined in regular meetings by the AFDO Communications Coordinating Team comprising; CEO, P&EA and CO (this role).
It is a priority of the role to keep the CEO up-to-date with disability sector news or issues for timely and strategic organisation responses.
It is the responsibility of the Communications Officer to:
- Ensure that AFDO maintains a prominent and relevant presence in all social media
- Update AFDO’s social media sites daily ensuring that particular attention is paid to promoting AFDO activities, AFDO Members activity and AFDO CEO activity in line with agreed procedures and policy
- AFDO does not enter into debate/discussion over its postings on social media with any individual or organisation
- Coordinate and issue the AFDO “Daily Media Wrap” comprised of media monitoring of events provided from AFDO subscription via iSentia. This is to go to all members, AFDO Board and AFDO Staff on a daily basis each morning.
- Co-ordinate, produce & disseminate a range of newsletters as developed on an agreed distribution timeline
- Update and maintain all AFDO controlled websites
- Assist with contributing to the production and dissemination of AFDO Media Releases as required
- Check regularly during each day, email, social media, online newsletters, websites, forums, across the disability sector and advise the CEO of any activity, information or items which may require a strategic response
- Provide data reports on reach and scope of reach of activities on an agreed regular basis
- Provide agenda, undertake minutes, compose action lists and participate as an active member of the AFDO Communications Coordinating Team at its set meetings (Comprising the CEO, P&EA and CO)
- Undertake the design, format and presentation of resources and materials as required
- Undertake photography/video assignments as periodically planned in order to capture relevant images for use in AFDO communications
- Undertake editing of images and video as needed
- Supervise the workload and tasks (as required) of any volunteers or consultants utilised for communications/media matters
- Assist the CEO and relevant National Managers as appropriate, to enhance AFDO’s national profile, maintain & strengthen existing relationships, build new strategic relationships and further develop stakeholder support
- Monitor the workload and tasks (as required) of any volunteers or consultants utilised for communications work
- Contribute and work with the Staff Team on issues, projects and strategic initiatives
- Attend and participate in AFDO meetings or other meetings on behalf of AFDO as required
- Other duties as directed by management in keeping with the scope of this position
Responsibilities and Key Decision Making in this Role:
- Individual diary/calendar management and prioritising workload;
- Prioritising media issues and responding daily or as required and if uncertain, checking on direction with management
- Understanding AFDO positions on issues and supporting media responses from AFDO member organisations or sector organisations that align
- Prioritising media issues that require advising or involving the CEO
- Coordinating agenda, minutes and action lists for AFDO Communications Coordinating Team
Specific position criteria
- This position is only available for those who identify as a person with disability as allowed under ‘special measures’ of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010; you need to outline how you meet this requirement
- Minimum of two years’ operating in a communications role within or outside of the sector
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated communication expertise and project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage tasks, set priorities, organise work and achieve objectives within timelines
- Ability to work in a sensitive, complex and demanding environment
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team
- Relevant qualifications would be advantageous