AFDO – Coordinator – Disability Royal Commission
This position is only available for those who identify as a person with disability as allowed under ‘special measures’ of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010, no other applicants will be considered.
The Australian Federation of Disability Organisations, a Disabled People’s Organisation and a National Cross-Disability Peak, represents people with disability and their families, and is looking for an experienced Coordinator – Board & Governance with relevant skills to fulfil this role.
Reporting directly to the National Manager – Systemic Advocacy, Insight & Research, you will be responsible for supporting the CEO, the AFDO Expert Adviser – DRC and the National Manager – Systemic Advocacy, Insight and Research, to ensure the work undertaken on the Disability Royal Commission (DRC) is handled efficiently and effectively. This will involve liaising with all AFDO member organisations to promote the work and hearings of the DRC and support them to undertake submissions and encourage their members to put in statements or provide evidence, etc. Collect data and reports from each of the AFDO member organisations, and drafting the appropriate reports for the funding body.
This is a great opportunity to join AFDO with an established project as we continue to grow and be an active contributor in extending our impact. See more about us at; www.afdo.org.au
You must have a minimum of 3 years experience in a similar role within or outside of the sector.
This is a part time role working Tuesday to Thursday each week, with an initial 12 month contract and potential for renewal subject to results. We have a remote “home office” operating environment and great flexibility along with other benefits and a great team environment. Ideally, we are seeking the candidate to commence immediately.
Interested in applying?
Please submit a cover letter (maximum 2 pages) responding to the criteria in the Position description below with your resume to email@example.com with the subject line: Coordinator – Disability Royal Commission.
Download the Position Description:
- Word doc: Coordinator – Disability Royal Commission (docx, 3 pages, 56kb)
- PDF (untagged): Coordinator – Disability Royal Commission (PDF, 3 pages, 90kb)
Position Description: Coordinator – Disability Royal Commission (C-DRC)
Term: Fixed Term 1 Year – Dates TBC
Effective Date: April 2021 (TBC)
Location: Designated workplace – Melbourne office/allowed to work from remote home office
Reports to: National Manager – Systemic Advocacy, Insight & Research
Subordinate positions: Volunteers and Contractors (as required)
Hours of work: 22.5 hours per week (45 p/fortnight). Worked over Tuesday to Thursday
AFDO has received funds from the Federal Attorney General’s Department to undertake work to support the DRC over its life and ensure the promotion to and engagement of people with disability. AFDO has also received funding for a similar role to be performed by AFDO National Members who aren’t funded directly for this work.
The Coordinator – Disability Royal Commission (C-DRC) is responsible for supporting the CEO, the AFDO Expert Adviser – DRC (EA-DRC) and the National Manager – Systemic Advocacy, Insight and Research (NM-SAIR), who all comprise the AFDO DRC Strategy Group to ensure the work undertaken on the Disability Royal Commission (DRC) is handled efficiently and effectively.
Reporting to the NM-SAIR, the Coordinator provides high-level support to ensure that AFDO continues to respond to the requirements and challenges of the DRC, driven by AFDO priorities and the DRC timetable.
The Coordinator will be responsible for liaising with all AFDO member organisations to promote the work and hearings of the DRC and support them to undertake submissions and encourage their members to put in statements or provide evidence, etc. The role will also collect data and reports from each of the AFDO member organisations that are funded through AFDO to undertake DRC work. The role will also draft the appropriate reports for the funding body and provide these to management for review. The role will liaise with officers of the relevant member organisations, monitor and report any possible non-compliance in terms of their contracted deliverables to AFDO management for action.
1. DRC support & reporting
- Manage incoming email correspondence and draft responses on behalf of relevant management when required or forward an email to the relevant person for attention/response;
- Drafting and preparing reports, presentations, letters, and other documents where necessary;
- Organise and participate in regular meetings by AFDO DRC Strategy Group;
- Monitor issues concerning the DRC and keep AFDO DRC management informed;
- Maintain an up to date online centralised electronic filing system
- Manage the schedule of all AFDO DRC Strategy Group meetings, as well as oversight and advice of the timetable for hearings by the DRC;
- Organise meeting logistics such as venue and meeting supports, A.V. hire, Online access, etc. for all AFDO member meetings to discuss the DRC or other key events;
- Ensure that all accessibility issues are provided and addressed for any meeting attendees as required.
- Work with AFDO management to prepare and distribute high-quality meeting agendas and papers on time.
- Minute all meetings and manage all action lists, ensuring the relevant people are tasked accordingly and prompted when deadlines approach;
- Maintain and distribute information on the DRC as required
- Liaise with AFDO P&E and Communications Officer to ensure AFDO social media and websites are up to date with accurate DRC information and media releases;
- Assist AFDO DRC management in developing themes, concepts and areas on the DRC; From this, be responsible for writing up a draft of relevant articles and regular newsletters on the DRC and critical issues as agreed
- Monitor and coordinate reporting and draft reports on behalf of AFDO and the AFDO funded members for the funding body in accordance with the requirements and formats needed. Drafts to be submitted for review to the AFDO DRC management
- Monitor and advise AFDO DRC management of any funded member organisation that is not reporting or isn’t providing sufficient reporting in their activities for management follow up
- Supervise the workload and tasks (as required) of any volunteers or consultants utilised for special projects
- Other tasks as directed by management in keeping within the scope of this role
Responsibilities and Key Decision Making in this Role:
- Diary/calendar management and prioritising meetings;
- Managing payments for AFDO member organisation funded through AFDO to undertake DRC work as per their Agreement
- Checking incoming invoices for authorisation by CEO via P&EA;
- Calling for agenda items and collecting reports for upcoming internal meetings;
Making decisions concerning:
- travel and accommodation costs;
- meeting costs such as venue, catering, A.V. hire, interpreters, captioning etc.;
- stationary and external printing costs;
- This position is only available for those who identify as a person with disability as allowed under ‘special measures’ of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010; you need to outline how you meet this requirement
- Three years experience in a similar role within or outside of the sector
- Demonstrated administrative and project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High-level interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage tasks, set priorities, organise work and achieve objectives within timelines and budget
- Ability to work in a sensitive, complex and demanding environment
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team
- Good office admin knowledge, database management skills and general computer skills (Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and internet).
- Relevant qualifications would be an advantage