AFDO – Policy & Submissions Officer
This position is only available for those who identify as a person with disability as allowed under ‘special measures’ of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010, no other applicants will be considered.
The Australian Federation of Disability Organisations, a Disabled People’s Organisation and a National Cross-Disability Peak, represents people with disability and their families, and is looking for an experienced Policy & Submissions Officer with relevant skills to fulfil this role.
This is an exciting opportunity to join AFDO as we continue to grow and be an active contributor in extending its impact both nationally and internationally. See more about us at; www.afdo.org.au
This position reports to the National Manager – Policy, Sustainability, Initiatives & Projects (NM-PSIP) and assists in increasing AFDO’s profile and connection with aligned organisations, governments, the private sector, funders, the philanthropic sector through the development of AFDO Policy Statements, submissions to hearings, inquiries, etc. member engagement and contributions/co-authoring and approval of positions, promotion of AFDO Policy Statements. The main function of this role is to work with the NM-PSIP and develop AFDO Policy Positions with our members, promote these and undertake submissions on key issues as they arise.
You must have a minimum of 2 years operating in a similar role within or outside of the sector.
This is a part-time role working Tuesday to Thursday each week, with an initial 12 month contract and potential for renewal subject to results. We have a remote “home office” operating environment and great flexibility along with other benefits and a great team environment. Ideally, we are seeking the candidate to commence immediately.
Interested in applying?
Please submit a cover letter (maximum 2 pages) responding to the criteria in the Position Description below, with your resume, to email@example.com with the subject line: Policy & Submissions Officer.
Download the position Description:
Position description: Policy & Submissions Officer
Term: Fixed Term 1 Year – Dates TBC
Start Date: April 2021 (TBC)
Location: Designated workplace – Melbourne office/allowed to work from remote home office
Reports to: National Manager – Policy, Sustainability, Initiatives & Projects
Subordinate positions: None applicable
Hours of work: 22.5 hours per week (45 p/fortnight). Worked over Tuesday to Thursday
This position reports to the National Manager – Policy, Sustainability, Initiatives & Projects
(NM-PSIP), and assists in increasing AFDO’s profile and connection with aligned organisations, governments, the private sector, funders, the philanthropic sector through the development of AFDO Policy Statements, submissions to hearings, inquiries, etc. member engagement and contributions/co-authoring and approval of positions, promotion of AFDO Policy Statements.
The main function of this role is to work with the NM-PSIP and develop AFDO Policy Positions with our members, promote these and undertake submissions on key issues as they arise.
- Assisting with the development, administration, reporting and promotion of AFDO Policy Statements based on member and sector identified issues
- Assisting in the development and maintaining the currency of AFDO Policy Statements in light of governments or community positions and views
- Assisting in the development and lodgement of submissions as called for by governments or other organisations/forums in line with views of AFDO members and AFDO Policy Statements
- Assisting in engaging the members in the development of policy, submissions, papers, reports, etc
Major areas of focus being:
- Assisting NM-PSIP in ensuring the development and maintenance of AFDO policy and submissions and their administration, maintenance, reporting and promotion
- Assisting in engaging the members in the policy and submission process
1. Policy & Submissions
- Assist NM-PSIP in the implementation, monitoring, administration and ongoing development of AFDO Policy Statements and submissions;
- Draft and prepare submissions, reports, presentations, letters, applications and other documents as required for this area;
- Organise and participate in regular policy or submission meetings by NM-PSIP;
- Maintain an up to date online centralised electronic filing system and database;
- Manage the schedule of all policy or submission meetings;
- Organise meeting logistics as required;
- Organise policy events online or at venue(s) including; Development of invitations, recording of participants, sourcing & booking accessible venues, organising online platform, organising supports and accessibility needs for attendees, organising catering for general and dietary requirements, issuing documents or presentations in accessible formats, etc. sending and collating feedback from attendees post-event.
- Work with NM-PSIP to prepare and distribute high-quality meeting agendas, papers or reports on time;
- Minute all meetings and manage action lists, ensuring the relevant people are tasked accordingly and prompted when deadlines approach;
- Monitor and coordinate Policy Statements and submissions with draft reports provided to the NM-PSIP for review and then finalisation;
- Ensure that submissions are lodged on time with any government or other body
- Other tasks as directed by management in keeping within the scope of this role
Responsibilities and Key Decision Making in this Role:
- Diary/calendar management and prioritising workload;
- Checking incoming or outgoing invoices for authorisation by the NM-PSIP;
- Calling for agenda items and collecting reports for upcoming internal meetings;
- Managing the policy database;
- Assist with policy events organisation and administration
- Assist in the drafting AFDO Policy Statements and submissions, etc.
- This position is only available for those who identify as a person with disability as allowed under ‘special measures’ of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010; you need to outline how you meet this requirement
- Two years’ experience in a similar role within or outside of the sector
- Demonstrated administrative and project management skills
- High-level written and verbal communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage tasks, set priorities, organise work and achieve objectives within timelines
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team
- Office admin knowledge, database management skills and general computer skills (Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and internet).
- Relevant qualifications would be an advantage