AFDO – Board & Governance Officer
This position is only available for those who identify as a person with a disability as allowed under ‘special measures’ of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010, no other applicants will be considered.
The Australian Federation of Disability Organisations (AFDO) is a Disabled People’s Organisation and a national cross-disability peak, championing the rights of people with disability and enabling them to participate fully in Australian life. AFDO offers a supportive work environment, with a team passionate about the rights of people living with disability. Benefits include options for workplace flexibility, remote working and immediate access to tax-reducing salary packaging.
This is a newly created role designed to support the organisation’s increasing need for governance and high-level administrative support. Reporting to the Executive Assistant, you will assist the board of directors to ensure that AFDO’s governance function is operating efficiently, effectively and in accordance with the constitution.
You will be a key point of contact for board directors and provide the assistance they need to carry out their responsibilities to AFDO. In addition to managing all logistics for board meetings, you will have the opportunity to work on a range of other projects such as policy reviews, compliance registers and reporting writing.
This is a part-time role (22.5 hours per week Tuesday to Friday) with an offer of an initial 12-month contract and potential for renewal.
Download the position description:
AFDO Board & Governance Officer Candidate Information Aug 2021 PDF
AFDO Board & Governance Officer Candidate Information Aug 2021 Word Doc
HTML Version is available below.
Interested in applying?
Please write a two-page covering letter outlining how you meet the above selection criteria and send it along with your resume to email@example.com
Please use the subject line Board & Governance Officer. Only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.
About the role: Board & Governance Officer
Reporting to: Personal & Executive Assistant to CEO
Director Reports: Volunteers and consultants as needed
Location: Designated workplace – Melbourne CBD or Remote work available, subject to WHS requirements being met
Employment Status: 12-month contract, part-time – 22.5 hours per week – Tuesday to Friday with Potential to renew
This role has responsibility for overseeing the efficient and effective operation of AFDO’s governance policies, procedures and processes to ensure compliance with its constitution. The role provides high-level administrative support to board members, manages the schedule of board and committee meetings and arranges for all meeting logistics. The role also provides back up support for the Personal & Executive Assistant when required.
The Officer – Board & Governance (C–B&G) is responsible for supporting the President and AFDO Board, the CEO and the P&EA to ensure that AFDO governance functions efficiently and effectively. Reporting to the P&EA, the Officer provides high-level governance support to the CEO and President plus high-level administrative support to the Board of Directors, driven by the governance annual schedule and cycle.
Board & Governance Support
- Manage incoming email correspondence and write responses on behalf of the Board or CEO when required or forward an email to the relevant person for attention/response
- Draft and prepare reports, presentations, letters, and other documents where necessary
- Update Director details with ACNC as required and ensure ACNC reporting submitted on time
- Develop and review procedures, guidelines, and governance/operating policies in consultation with CEO and P&EA, and assist with a regular review as needed
- Maintain Registers of Members, Directors, Company Secretaries, and all contact lists for the CEO
- Manage the effective and discreet use of the CEO’s electronic signature
- Process membership applications in consultation with the CEO and P&EA
- Maintain an up to date online centralised electronic filing system
- Manage schedule of all Board meetings and its committees
- Organise meeting logistics such as venue and meeting supports, AV hire, online access, etc. for all Board, Executive and any committee(s) or working groups
- Ensure that all accessibility issues are provided and addressed for any meeting attendees as required
- Work with the President, CEO and P&EA to prepare and distribute high-quality meeting agendas and papers on time
- Minute all Board meetings and manage all action lists, ensuring the relevant people are tasked accordingly and prompted when deadlines approach
- Maintain and distribute Board Induction Kit for new Directors
- Liaise with Directors as required and assist with managing travel, accommodation, accessibility requirements, and expense claims
- Liaise with Directors to provide any relevant information as required.
AFDO General or Member Meetings
- Organise the Annual General Meeting and any other General Meetings or Member Meetings of AFDO
- Work with the CEO & P&EA to ensure due notice of all General Meetings or other meetings is given to members, including preparing and circulating Agenda and meeting papers
- Attend all General Meetings and take Minutes of meetings.
AFDO International Engagement
- Organise the attendance, registration and travel needs of any Board Directors or CEO for any international meetings, conferences or events
- Assist the CEO, Chair and nominated AFDO International Representative with any matters concerning AFDO’s international work and strategic objective
- Work with the CEO to ensure notice of any meetings is given to the representative(s), including preparing and circulating Agenda and meeting papers
- Conduct research on issues as required.
AFDO Credit Card Management & Compliance
- Purchase all goods and services relating the governance function using the designated credit card, strictly adhering to AFDO Policies and Procedures
- On a monthly basis, provide credit card receipts, invoices and statement reconciliation to the finance team.
Executive/Administration Support – only during periods when P&EA is on leave
- Manage incoming email correspondence and write responses on behalf of the CEO when required or forward the email to the relevant person for attention/response
- Collect and check incoming invoices, timesheets for authorisation by CEO
- Prepare rolling calendar of organisation events, dates and critical reporting or matters in coordination with Governance area
- Manage the effective and discreet use of the CEO’s electronic signature
- Drafting and preparing reports, presentations, letters, submissions and other documents as needed for the CEO and Management Team
- Supporting other staff with reports, submissions, or other document preparation or format needs as required from time to time
- Contribute to meetings held on AFDO Communications and social media strategies, responses, releases and postings
- In consultation with the CEO, oversee the preparation and dissemination of Media Releases as required & regular AFDO newsletters
- Maintain an effective electronic filing system for the organisation
- Liaise with AFDO remote server and IT support contractors as needed
- Liaise with AFDO remote/virtual serviced office(s) as required
Key Decision Making in this Role
- Diary/calendar management and prioritising meetings
- Managing Cabcharge system, checking and allocating account numbers for finance team
- Checking incoming invoices and timesheets for authorisation by CEO
- Calling for agenda items and collecting reports for upcoming meetings
- Managing designated AFDO credit card for organisation expenses, monthly reconciliation, checking details, allocating account numbers
- Making decisions concerning:
- Travel and accommodation costs
- Meeting costs such as venue, catering, A.V. hire, interpreters, captioning etc
- stationery and external printing costs.
Key Selection Criteria:
- This position is only available for those who identify as a person with disability as allowed under ‘special measures’ of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010, you need to outline how you meet this requirement.
- At least three to five years’ experience in a similar role within or outside of the sector
- Demonstrated administrative and project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- High-level interpersonal skills with the confidence to engage with people at all levels
- Ability to manage tasks, set priorities, organise work and achieve objectives within timelines and budget
- Experience in purchasing goods and services such as travel and accommodation
- Demonstrated abilities in coordinating meetings and taking minutes
- Ability to work in a sensitive, complex and demanding environment
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team
- Good office administration knowledge, database management skills and general computer skills (Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and internet)
- Relevant qualifications would be an advantage
- Ability to maintain productivity in a remote working environment
- Suitable remote working facilities (ie, working from home facilities)