11th session of the Conference of States Parties (COSP) to the CRPD, 12 to 14 June 2018
- Women and girls with disabilities
- National fiscal space, public-private partnerships and international cooperation for strengthening the implementation of the CRPD
- Political participation and equal recognition before the law
The annual conference brings together countries that have ratified the CRPD and representatives from Disabled Peoples Organisations (DPOs) and civil society organisations to discuss implementation of the CRPD and related international development issues.
AFDO will have two representatives attending COSP this year:
- Liz Reid, AFDO President and Chairperson
- Trevor Carroll, AFDO Vice President and International Representative
AFDO is Australia’s representative on Disabled People’s International (DPI), a human rights organisation committed to the protection of the rights of people with disabilities and the promotion of their full and equal participation in society.
AFDO is privileged to hold the sole Australian representative vote on DPI. Our Vice President and International Representative, Trevor Carroll will be DPI’s Australian representative at COSP this year. Trevor holds the following two positions on DPI:
- Chair of the DPI Asia-Pacific Executive
- Information Officer on the DPI World Council Executive
The Australian delegation will include representatives from the Australian Government, the Department of Social Services (DSS), the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), and the Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC).
We are looking forward to working closely with representatives from the Australian Government, and our civil society colleagues listed below:
- Dwayne Cranfield, National Ethnic Disability Alliance
- Margherita Coppolino, President, National Ethnic Disability Alliance
- Therese Sands, People with Disability Australia
- Matthew Bowden, People with Disability Australia
- Damian Griffis, First Peoples Disability Network Australia
- June Riemer, First Peoples Disability Network Australia
- Evelyn Collins, First Peoples Disability Network Australia
- Paul Calcott, First Peoples Disability Network Australia
- Sarah Houbolt, Women With Disabilities Australia
- Stephanie Gotlib, Children and Young People with Disability Australia
- Danny Dickson, Children and Young People with Disability Australia
- Julie Phillips, Children and Young People with Disability Australia
- Bobby Fish, Children and Young People with Disability Australia
- Robert Strike, NSW Council for Intellectual Disability
- Rachel Spencer, NSW Council for Intellectual Disability
- Kylee Roberts, NSW Council for Intellectual Disability
- Emily Steel, Rights and Inclusion Australia
CRPD Civil Society Forum, 11th June 2018
AFDO will be participating in the CRPD Civil Society Forum on 11th June.
The CRPD Civil Society Forum is held annually ahead of the Conference of States Parties to the CRPD, at the United Nations in New York.
The Forum gives space for open discussion and sharing of a huge diversity of experience and perspective from across the disability rights community, and the opportunity to engage with governments, UN bodies and others from across civil society.
Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD)
This year’s conference will include the election of nine new members of the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities to replace those whose terms are due to expire on 31st December 2018.
Australia’s candidate for the CRPD is Ms Rosemary Kayess. AFDO is pleased to endorse Rosemary’s nomination.
To learn more about Rosemary and the election process, please visit this CRPD page.
The COSP will be available on UN Web TV.