AFDO provides systemic advocacy to achieve better outcomes for all people with disability in Australia, by seeking to influence longer term change to ensure the rights of people with disability are upheld. We do this by influencing and changing a “system” such as legislation, policies and practices, as well as community attitudes to uphold these rights and interests.
An important part of our work is to raise awareness of issues impacting on people with disability and their families. We ensure that people with disability are at the centre of all discussions and decisions, as people with disability are best to advise on issues that impact on their lives.
We have provided below information and links to resources on our current advocacy campaigns.
- Urgent Review needed into Disability Support Pension (DSP) We are concerned that changes to the Disability Support Pension (DSP) and the wider social security system over the past two decades has led to many people with disability being unable to access social security payments, most importantly the DSP.
As the national cross-disability peak organisation for people with disability, AFDO convenes and supports a number of collaborations, and participates on several disability sector and government panels, steering groups and advisory bodies. Below is the list of current committees and advisory groups which AFDO is part of:
- NDIS Implementation Taskforce – Victoria
- NDIS Complex Needs Working Group – Victoria
- NDIS Participant Readiness Working Group – Victoria
- NDIS Independent Advisory Council
- Aviation Access Forum
- Innovative Workforce Fund – Independent Advisory Group
- Ageing, Disability and Mental Health Sector Collaborative Panel
- NDIS Transitioning project (TSP) – Victoria
- Welfare Payment Infrastructure Transformation (WPIT) Civil Society Advisory Group (CSAG)
- Australian Electoral Commission Disability Advisory Committee
- Disability Employment Working Group, Australian Public Service Commission
- VCOSS Disability Network Forum
- National Disability Strategy Reform Steering Group
- UNSW School of Business / Centre for Research Excellence in Disability and Health
- VicRoads Disability Parking Permit Eligibility Reference Group
- Disability Support Industry Reference Committee
- Melbourne Social Equity Institute Advisory Board
- Reducing Stigma and Discrimination Working Group
- VALID “Justice for all” Steering Group
- National Assistive Technology Alliance
- Not for Profit Taskforce – Australian Taxation Office
- Civil Society UNCRPD Shadow Working Group
- Australian Universal Housing Design Network
- National Disability and Carer Alliance – “Every Australian Counts Campaign”
Secretariat Coordination Roles
- National Inclusive Transport Advisory Network