Royal Commission

Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability

The Disability Royal Commission wants to hear from all Australians with disability about their experiences of violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation.  There are a number of ways that you can tell your story to the Royal Commission.  You can do this by:

  1. attending a Community Forum
  2. attending a Hearing
  3. writing your story (putting in a submission)
  4. sending an email to the Commission, or ringing the Commission and telling your story.

Remember that you can contact the Royal Commission if you have a question, and you can visit their website at which includes a Questions and answers page.


During the Royal Commission, there will be confronting and disturbing stories in the media.  Sometimes words or images can cause sadness or distress, or trigger traumatic memories for people, particularly survivors of past abuse.  For some people, these responses can be overwhelming. If you need to talk to someone, support is available via Lifeline:  

  • Ring 13 11 14 for confidential telephone crisis support, available 24/7 from a landline, payphone or mobile.
  • TTY (teletypewriter) users phone 133 677 then ask for 13 11 14
  • Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 13 11 14
  • Internet relay users connect to the NRS then ask for 13 11 14
  • Lifeline Text is a trial service. To access the service, text 0477 13 11 14 (available between 6.00pm – midnight (AEST), 7 days a week).

Important: If you are currently experiencing any form of violence or abuse, or are concerned for your safety, please call 000 or contact Police.  If you are deaf, you can contact police, fire or ambulance on 106 directly through a TTY.