Are you a person with disability?
Do you have experience facilitating information sessions and workshops?
Do you have an excellent understanding of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)?
Sign up for our National Register and help people all over Australia learn how to get the best from their NDIS plans.
Please note: the deadline has been extended until 5pm on Friday February 26th, 2021.
Head over to Disability Loop for the plain English version.
The Australian Federation of Disability Organisations (AFDO) is the peak organisation in the disability sector representing people with lived experience of disability. We work to develop a community where people with disability can participate in all aspects of social, economic, political, and cultural life. This includes genuine participation in mainstream community life, the development of respectful and valued relationships, social and economic participation, and the opportunity to contribute as valued citizens.
About the project
AFDO has been funded to conduct 47 information sessions, nationally, by people with disability to build the capacity and knowledge of people with disability and their families, to maximise the potential outcomes from their NDIS plans through choice and control.
The Training sessions will run from May 2021 to December 2021
- The project will deliver a total of 47 information sessions nationally, in capital cities, metropolitan, regional, rural, and remote areas. Applications will be accepted from suitably experienced people from each State/Territory.
- The number of information sessions a facilitator may deliver will depend on their location, availability and the depth of the pool of facilitators acquired.
- The information sessions will deliver advice on NDIS processes, navigation, options, NDIS plans, and how to get the most out of a plan’s implementation.
- Information sessions will be delivered face-to-face, via video conference, or by pre-recorded video, dependent on COVID-19 restrictions.
- A Presenters Handbook, additional resources, and a compilation of videos to be used for the information sessions have already been developed for use.
- A recording of an information session will be uploaded to the AFDO website as a fully accessible package to be promoted via social media, general media, and AFDO’s network which includes 26 member organisations.
- A person with disability
- Demonstrated recent experience in training, facilitating, presentation, or conducting workshops and the use of relevant materials and technology.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of NDIS processes and plans.
- A TAFE qualification will be highly regarded but is not essential.
- Currently have, or willing to obtain an Australian Business Number (ABN).
Role and function of the Facilitator
The role of the Facilitator will be to:
- Provide the perspective of a person with disability
- Conduct information sessions
- Review preparation material for the information sessions
- Participate in scheduled teleconferences
- Participate in “professional presentation skills” sessions as required
- Send out and review surveys after conducting information sessions
We are committed to meeting your accessibility requirements to participate in the sessions, for example, captioning, Auslan interpreters, providing accessible documents, etc. If you would like to discuss your specific accessibility requirements further, please contact the Project Manager or AFDO representative listed below.
Remuneration for a Facilitator is $80 per hour (ex GST). Any time spent on the information sessions is billable.
For the first time delivering an information session an allowance of up to 3 hours of billable time is made for reviewing documentation and preparation. This time allowance may be adjusted in accordance with the amount of material required for review or accessibility needs.
Travel time, if required for face-to-face sessions, is paid at $40 per hour (ex GST).
Facilitators will be engaged by AFDO as contractors and will be required to submit an invoice for payment.
How to apply
You can submit your Expression of Interest (EOI) to join the AFDO National Register of Trainers/Facilitators by emailing Jim.Valavanis@afdo.org.au with responses to the eight questions below and outlining why you would be suitable for the role.
- Full Name
- Phone Number
- Email address
- Accessibility Requirements
- Experience (brief background)
- Other (Why you are suitable for the role).
NOTE: All information provided will be treated as confidential.
Alternatively, you can contact AFDO staff on the numbers listed below if you have any questions.
EOI applications for these roles will close at 5pm on Friday 26th February 2021.
AFDO Business Development Manager
Telephone: 0456 003 767
AFDO Project Co-ordinator
Telephone: 0457 290 825