AFDO’s national policy program provides systemic advocacy to break down the barriers of inequity and injustice that Australians with disability face each day. We work to remove these barriers through the development of evidence-based policy that draws on the expertise of people with disability. We do this by talking with our members, which are organisations made up of people with disability and/or their families.
We work to ensure that the review of current legislation and the development of new legislation is fair and representative of people with disability. Our systemic advocacy and policy are underpinned by the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD), the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) 1992, the National Disability Strategy (NDS), and the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) Act 2013.
Our current policy priorities are:
1. Violence, Abuse and Neglect of people with disability
2. Access to Justice
3. People with disability in the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
4. Affordable Housing
5. Better Health for people with disability
6. Public Transport
7. Advocacy and Inclusion
AFDO often works with other organisations in the sector on Joint Statements, or we are asked to endorse Position Statements from other organisations. Please follow this link to read recent Position Statements that AFDO has endorsed.
Below are our policy submissions on many systemic advocacy matters facing Australians with disability. On this page, you will find recent and past AFDO submissions to federal and state governments, Senate Inquiries and other government and non-government agencies.
- AFDO Statement to Joint Standing Committee on the Review of the NDIS Quality & Safeguards Commission, 17 November 2020
- AFDO response to National Disability Strategy Position Paper, November 2020
- AFDO Submission on the Review of NDIS Quality & Safeguards Commission, October 2020
- AFDO Pre Federal Budget Submission – 2020 – 2021, Revised August 2020
- AFDO Submission to the Disability Royal Commission on the experiences of people with disability during the ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, August 2020
- AFDO Submission to the Senate Select Committee on COVID-19
- Opening statement by Trevor Carroll to Senate Select Committee on COVID (DOCX)
- Opening statement by Trevor Carroll to Senate Select Committee on COVID (PDF)
- Opening statement on the DSP to Senate Select Committee on COVID-19 (DOCX)
- Opening statement on the DSP to Senate Select Committee on COVID-19 (PDF)
- AFDO Letter of support and endorsement for ADDC Submission to the Australian Government’s new international development policy, February 2020
- AFDO Submission on Second Draft of Religious Discrimination Act Legislation, January 2020
- AFDO Pre Federal Budget Submission – 2020 – 2021, January 2020
- Submission to Senate Community Affairs on the Adequacy of Newstart and other related payments, October 2019 PDF Accessible Word
- Joint Submission to Senate Community Affairs Legislation Committee on the NDIS Amendment (Streamlined Governance) Bill, August 2019 PDF Accessible Word
- Submission to Department of Social Services re: Children with Disability in Out of Home Care, August 2019 PDF Accessible Word
- Joint Submission on NDIS Thin Markets, August 2019 PDF PDF Accessible Word
- Joint Submission to the Royal Commission into Victoria’s Mental Health System, July 2019 PDF Accessible Word
- Submission on Draft Terms of Reference on the Disability Royal Commission, March 2019 PDF Accessible Word
- Pre Federal Budget Submission 2019 – 2020, February 2019 PDF Accessible Word
- Joint submission by AFDO & CMHA to the Australian National Audit Office (ANAO) on the Disability Support Pension (DSP), July 2018 Word
- AFDO submission to the Department of Social Services (DSS) outlining our views on the future of supported employment in Australia, March 2018 Word
- AFDO submission to the Department of Treasury outlining our views regarding priorities for the 2018-19 Budget, February 2018 Word
- Joint submission by PWdWA and AFDO to the inquiry into the need for laws in Western Australia to allow citizens to make informed decisions regarding their own end of life choices, November 2017 Word
- AFDO submission to the Senate Standing Committee on Economics on the Medicare Levy Amendment (National Disability Insurance Scheme Funding) Bill 2017 and 10 related bills, September 2017 Word
- AFDO Submission to the Joint Standing Committee on the National Disability Insurance Scheme enquiry into transitional arrangements for the NDIS, August 2017 Word
- AFDO, DANA joint submission on the National Disability Insurance Scheme Amendment (Quality and Safeguards Commission and Other Measures) Bill 2017, August 2017 Word
- AFDO submission to the Department of Social Services – 2nd Progress Report on the National Disability Strategy, August 2017 Word
- AFDO submission to the Productivity Commission National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) Costs Issues Paper, July 2017 Word
- AFDO submission to the Senate Enquiry into inclusive and accessible communities, April 2017 Word
- AFDO submission to the Productivity Commission National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) Costs enquiry, March 2017 Word
Policy information and resources
The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) is an agreement by countries around the world to make sure that people with disabilities and people without disabilities are treated equally. The CRPD was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on 13 December 2006. It opened to signatures on 30 March 2007 and came into force on 3 May 2008, following ratification by the 20th State Party. Australia ratified the Convention and its Optional Protocol on 17 July 2008 and joined other countries around the world in a global effort to promote the equal and active participation of all people with disability in society and community life.
The Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) provides protection for everyone in Australia against discrimination based on disability. The Commonwealth DDA was enacted in 1992, and makes it unlawful to discriminate against a person who has, has had, or may have a disability. This includes the provision of goods, services or facilities. The DDA also makes it unlawful to discriminate against a person on the basis that one of their associates may have a disability.
The National Disability Strategy (NDS) is a 10-year national plan (2010-2020) for improving the life experiences of Australians with disability, their families and carers. It seeks to foster an inclusive society that helps people with disability to fulfil their potential as equal citizens. It was endorsed by the Council of Australian Governments in February 2011.
The National Disability Insurance Scheme Act 2013 (NDIS Act) is the legislation that established the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), and the National Disability Insurance Scheme Launch Transition Agency (known as the National Disability Insurance Agency or NDIA). The NDIS Act establishes a framework for the NDIS by setting out the objects and principles of the scheme, including people with disability being given choice and control over the care and support they receive.